SKILLET CHICKEN THIGHS WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY
Warm, cozy, and comforting, this skillet chicken has quickly become a favorites! It's so easy and requires such minimal cleanup that its even worthy of being a weeknight meal.
- 6 chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 4 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms sliced thick
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2-3 tbsp fresh thyme leaves roughly chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch or thickener of choice
- salt and pepper to season
- Heat a large skillet over medium high for a few minutes then add 1-2 tbsp of avocado oil
- Add your chicken thighs and cook for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown
- Remove from heat and add 2 more tbsp of avocado oil
- Add your mushrooms and onions, spreading them out as much as possible and allow them to cook, stirring infrequently, for about 7 minutes until the onions are softened and the mushrooms are mostly golden (note: do not salt them at this point! They will sweat and steam and not get as golden brown)
- Stir in your garlic, thyme, and 1 tsp of salt and allow to cook for 1-2 more minutes
- Combine your chicken broth and tamari in a glass or bowl and pour 3/4 of it over your mushrooms, stirring to deglaze any bits that have stuck to the bottom
- Add your arrowroot starch to your remaining broth and tamari and whisk until no lumps remain
- Pour your starch mixture over your mushroom and stir to combine
- Let simmer for 2-3 minutes while the mushroom gravy thickens then add your chicken thighs
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 10 more minutes
- Serve over mashed potatoes (I served mine over dairy-free mashed white sweet potatoes), quinoa, or pasta, garnish with parsley, and ENJOY!
Hungry for more?
Get your weekly dose of the latest styles and exclusive deals. Join our insider list.